To run Python scripts directly, you need to make sure your PATHEXT
environment variable has .py in it.  Mine is:

C:\> set PATHEXT
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.py;.pyw;.pyc;.pyo

Or, you can use python explicitly:

C:\> python django-admin.py startproject mysite

--Ned.
http://nedbatchelder.com