I think people got off on the wrong foot. It's perfectly normal to
confuse CMS and Framework.

Django is not a CMS but you can build a powerful, no-fluff CMS with
it. From personal experience, it's worth learning enough Python to
build upon Django. And that beats working with Joomla (which I find
horrid) because you can just use what you need. And about integrating
with social networks, you'll find that many people have already
developed applications that you can easily use to integrate in your
project. That's one of the beauties of Django.
I have to say, people have different reasons for picking different
frameworks. I have always been a bit unsure of which one to learn -
CodeIgniter (PHP), Ruby on Rails, etc. - but my main motivation was
the awesome admin that comes ready for you, just waiting for a few
lines of code. And session/user management is already there for you as
well.

Let's just say that for using a CMS you don't need that much
experience with programming and that by using a framework you need to
know the basics of what you're doing. But, again, Django/Python is
very easy :-)

Start by checking the official tutorial, then read the online manual.
Here are some interesting resources:

http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.0/intro/tutorial01/
http://www.djangobook.com/
http://www.djangoplugables.com/