On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 8:34 AM, zignorp<zign...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm getting going with the tutorial, it's so exciting to see the admin
> panel, but I've got a problem with the breadcrumbs.
> So I'm working from this page:
> http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/intro/tutorial02/#intro-tutorial02
> and when I select my poll to change, it says:
> In the example there's only one Polls, so I'm worried I may have
> inadvertently created an extra layer, but I can't figure out where I
> may have done that.

I don't think you've done anything incorrect here - I suspect it's
just some confusion stemming from an ambiguous name. The admin
breadcrumbs follow the pattern of:

Home > App > Model > Instance

Home is the admin homepage. You should see all available applications,
including the Polls app; the Polls app should show Polls as a model
inside the app.

Home > Polls should be the url /admin/polls, and should give a list of
models that can be edited - in this case, the Poll model.

Home > Polls > Polls should be the url /admin/polls/poll (note the
singular), which will give a list of Poll objects that can be edited
(at the very least, the "whats up" instance).

Home > Polls > Polls > Whats Up should be the url /admin/polls/poll/1
(or some other number, depending on the instance ID of the poll). This
should be the editing pane for the instance.

So - in this case, the project works fine, it's just a little
confusing whether you're talking about the Polls application or the
Polls model.

Adding to the confusion - the screenshot in the tutorial is slightly
out of date - the extra level of navigation was introduced recently
(well, after the tutorial screenshots were taken, anyway), so the
screenshots don't show the extra level of breadcrumbs.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)