I'm on Django 0.91 (unfortunately we are stuck with that and cannot
upgrade).

We have a variable - object.caption and lets say that it equals
"Bling: whatever" (without the quotes)

I am doing a hack in the templates (dont have access to anything else,
and need to output "IT WORKED!" (without the quotes)

I am using the following code

{% ifequal object.caption|lower|truncatewords:"1"|cut:": ..." "bling"
%}IT WORKED!{% endifequal %}

It gives me "bling" when I output this {{ object.caption|lower|
truncatewords:"1"|cut:": ..." }}
however as soon as that code is in the ifequal it errors and says

IFEQUAL takes two arguments error