When I installed Libiconv (1.9.2)  and gettext (0.13) on my XP Pro
machine and tried to run makemessages it initially gave me an error
message saying that it could not find iconv.dll. I went to the install
directory and I had a libiconv2.dll but no iconv.dll. I tried copying
and renaming the file and it seemed to work. Is this common or is
there something that I did wrong in the install process?

I used the exe installer for Libiconv because the zip download was not
working from SourceForge. I wouldn't image that that would make any
difference, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.