Upon further reading I decided that while I do need the developer
tools, that wasn't keeping me from doing this. (still downloading, by
the way.)

I ran the command: sudo python setup.py install

it ran fine, and among the things it told me:
copying build/scripts-2.5/django-admin.py -> /usr/local/bin

then i started python in my root directory, imported django and then
checked the version: 1.0.2

Success!

from here, the startproject command works.

I think I'm good. Hey, thanks for the help. It was good to struggle
through this.

Steve