> you'll see it doesn't say anything about the validation behavior being
> dependent on the widget in use.  So it doesn't matter what widget you use,
> if you want to be able to validate False as a valid value, then you need to
> include required=False in the form field definition.

To be completely fair, the documentation says specifically:

> Validates that the check box is *checked* (i.e. the value is True) if the
> field has required=True.

and

> If you want to include a *checkbox* in your form that can be either *checked
> or unchecked*, you must remember to pass in required=False when creating the
> BooleanField.

I can definitely understand how someone new to the framework, trying
to use a custom widget to do HiddenFields (which is more arcane that
it should be IMO, but that's off topic) and reading the BooleanField
docs could get confused about using them _without a checkbox widget_.
I'm going to open a ticket against the doc here and submit a first
pass at a documentation patch. Confusion is worth fixing IMO.

- Jon