Well I have solved part of my problem:

There are updated installation instructions
http://code.google.com/p/django-facebookconnect/issues/detail?id=1

But the problem remains:
When I click on the facebook connect button I get redirected to

http://xxxxxxxxxxx.com/facebook/setup?next=/accounts/profile/
(I have replaced my site with xxxxxxx)

How do I get the facebook login box to popup and for that to create
accounts, etc?