I'm still unable to get this working. I am on shared hosting and
cannot change mod_fastcgi to mod_wsgi so I am completely out of ideas.
If it's this much of an issue to simply render a page, I guess I
should find better hosting or use a php framework. This has been my
first attempt at actually using the django framework on an actual
project and I have to say that I have had nothing but problems getting
things working from day one. I thought frameworks were supposed to
make the routine stuff a breeze so you could focus on your app but to
me django replaces the time it takes to build all the forms and admin
interfaces, etc. with a mountain of server configuration.