Hello people,

I'm writing my first Django application and would like to know what is
considered more efficient: getting values of models' attributes in views
or directly in templates?

More precicely, say we have a Person model with name and id attributes,
and these need to be shown on a page.

Is it better for a view to "prepare" a context like this:

# views.py
# ...

    persons = []

    for person in Person.objects.all():
        persons.append({'id': person.id, 'name': person.name})

    return render_to_response('some_template.html', persons)

# some_template.html

{% for p in persons %}
    Id: {{ p.id }}; Name: {{ p.name }}
{% endfor %}

or just pass a QuerySet in a context like this:
# views.py
# ...

    persons = Person.objects.all()
    return render_to_response('some_template.html', persons)

and then let the template access attribute values directly?

Does it make a difference in terms of performance?

--
Alex Haley was adopted!