Hello All,

I am afraid that I might have to write my own middleware to do this. I
really want to do something like the following:

#In views.py:

def welcome( request ):
    return HttpResponse( "Welcome to my website" )
    #No code after the 'return' statement will ever be executed, but I
wish it would:
    time-consuming_function( request )

Why do I want to do this? My website feels a bit slow to use, because
it needs to do time-consuming_function. The content of the HTTP
response does not depend on time-consuming_function, so why should the
user have to wait for it? Unfortunately, time-consuming_function DOES
depend on the HttpRequest object and other local variables only
available in the scope of the view function, so it is much more
convenient to execute time-consuming_function inside the view
function.

Here is how I could do it in middleware, if nobody has an easier
solution:

@this_view_function_has_a_callback
def welcome( request ):
    return HttpResponse( "Welcome to my website" ), time-
consuming_function, { "request" : request }

I would have to write middleware to unpack the tuple returned by the
view function and do the proper stuff with each piece. What a hassle.

Has anyone already written that? Is there some much smarter and more
graceful work-around? Thank you all so much.