On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 3:46 AM, Joshua Russo<josh.r.ru...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a complex form that where I generate a grid (for lack of a
> better term) of fields for data entry. To simplify the template
> context I have a dictionaries within dictionaries so I can just use
> FOR loops within FOR loops in the template.
>
> My problem was that, unless I wrapped my fields in a BoundField, I
> would only receive the field's object reference output instead of the
> rendered widgets. So I added BoundField to the list of available
> objects in forms.py and everything is hums along merrily.
>
> My question is, am I breaking any Django commandments by opening up
> the BoundField (other than not monkey patching)?

Firstly, the "Django Commandments" are really just "being Pythonic".
Django is just a python library - we don't try to enforce any style
beyond that encouraged by the language itself. Monkeypatching is
discouraged because Python generally discourages it, not because
Django discourages it.

Secondly, it's difficult to give an appraisal of a technique when all
you have to go by is a vague description. Your explanation is a bit
hard to follow - you talk at length about fields, but don't mention
the form that holds those fields. Then you talk about the lengths you
have gone to in order to expose BoundField ... but don't appear to
acknowledge that if you iterate over the fields in a form, what you
get are instances of BoundField. I can appreciate that code can get in
the way of understanding a broader idea, but sometimes, a small amount
of code brings a lot of clarity.

Yours
Russ Magee %-)