On Jul 22, 8:54 pm, rpupkin77 <pthompson2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this is probably a  really basic question, but i can't find the answer
> anywhere.
>
> I need to get data from a model and use it in the view (views.py),
> before I pass it to the template. However, the result I get back (when
> i examine the local vars) has only the value returned by the __unicode
> function, in this instance, the "title" column.
>
> I need the title to continue to be what is returned by unicode but i
> need access to a different field in that model  and pass it to a third
> party api.
>
> essentially my code would looks like this:
>
> from models import Video
>
> def get_video_ids:
>  vids = Video.objects.all()
>
>  for vids in vid
>   do stuff
>
> the vids variable contains a list like this: [Video: vid title one,
> Video: vid title two]
>
> I essentially need the id.
>
> I have tried different ways of extracting, but they fail.
>
> Thanks.

You don't just get the unicode, you get the whole object. If you just
type 'vid' into the console, of course you'll just see the unicode
representation (actually it's the value of __repr__, which in turn
calls __unicode__) but the whole object is there. You access other
attributes like you would any other object - vid.id, vid.field1, etc.

It sounds like you don't really understand objects in Python, or maybe
objects at all. I recommend you read a basic beginner's guide to
programming in Python - there's a list here:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers
I haven't read any of them (I learned from Dive Into Python, which is
aimed at people who already know programming from other languages) but
I've heard "How to think like a computer scientist" is good.
--
DR.