On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 09:56 +0200, Masklinn wrote:
> No. There's nothing RESTful about URLs. In fact, at the end of the
> day, URLs are pretty much irrelevant to the "RESTfulness" of a service
> or system.

Somebody needs a coffee :)

URLs are very relevant to RESTfull services over the web, as resources
in such a service have to have a URI.

Not only that, but as you encode more state in the request, your backend
becomes more stateless ... I've seen countless of web applications where
the resource the page was referring to was passed in the session. Being
more stateless is another restfull trait.

Having beautiful URLs also helps with the discoverability of your API.
That's another restfull thing to do.

The example I gave was a bad one regarding best practices ... when
changing state on the server, you should at least POST. And since
browser don't know how to send "PUT" or "DELETE" requests, it's
perfectly acceptable to encode that action in the URL.

And I'd like to think that we prefer pragmatism over dogma. Labeling
things with "this is REST" and "this is not" because it says so in "the
book" really doesn't help anyone.

--
Alexandru Nedelcu