I've always solved this problem in javascript. Plus if you're using
jquery it's a bit easier. Before you set the date picker just format
the date:

$('input#id_date').val($('input#id_date').val().replace(/(\d+)-(\d+)-
(\d+)/ig, '$3/$2/$1')).datepicker({showOn: 'focus', dateFormat: 'dd/mm/
yy'});

Hope that helps. I would also like to know if the output format can be
changed from django.