Having this line of code:

User._meta.get_field('is_staff').default = True
in the models.py for one of my apps works without problems.
I wonder if it's possible to make email unique and first_name,last_name
unique_together by using this technique.

This:

User._meta.get_field('email').unique = True
fails with  AttributeError: can't set attribute.

I know I can enforce uniqueness in forms but it would be nice if this
can be done by modifying the User class and have the database field be
unique because the same database may need to be accessed from outside of
a django project.