You must recompile mod_python to use a different Python version.
Changing the symlink like that will not make a difference and you
could break other stuff on your system which assumed default Python is
a specific version.

You should also not go blindly changing permissions to 777 as that
makes it world writable which is bad practice and disastrous on a
shared host as other users can then change stuff in your directories.
Please go read documentation on file permissions on UNIX systems.

Graham