Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 17:59 +0100, Robin Becker wrote:
>> My boss wants to have two different django controlled websites with a common
>> database. Is there a way to do this?
>>
>> We are already running multiple websites into a single django project and
>> because they have a disambiguating term in the urls eg each url has
>> /lang/brand/path.... we can map the URLs pretty well.
>>
>> With the multiple django projects & 1 database I am worried there are some
>> hidden problems waiting to come out and play.
>
> The only potential problem is the content types. There are entries in
> the content types table for each model and it needs to contain
> information about all the models. So be careful when you're running
> syncdb.

I have already been bitten by the content types thing. I'm not sure I
understand
exactly what is using django_content_type, but one of our developers started
using ContentType as part of an intermodel link structure and although it
worked
it is fragile since the content type ids are not guaranteed to be the same
everywhere.

> What you're trying to do here is not dissimilar to just using different
> settings files for the same database, as in this tip:
> http://www.pointy-stick.com/blog/2009/03/26/django-tip-controlling-admin-or-other-access/
>
> On the other hand, if the two websites are entirely independent, putting
> them into a single database is simply poor design. It's trivial to
> create a separate database and why not use the tools that are available
> instead of adding extra complexity?!

I think the idea is to allow common authorisation between the two sites.
Robin Becker