I'm far from being an expert, but maybe you can look at the django-tagging
code for inspiration:

http://code.google.com/p/django-tagging/

What they do is to provide a TagField in the tagging application, and then
you can use that field in the form of the application using tags. You can
probably do something similar with an AvatarField.

- Paulo