On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 10:41 PM, Marek
Pietrucha<mark.pietru...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a relational database written in PostgreSQL 8.4. I use
> different schemas - not default public schema. I tried to inspectdb my
> database but the output was clean. It looked like the inspectdb tool
> didn't look in my schemas. I thought it was the matter of the pg
> driver, so I changed it from postgresql-psycopg2 to postgresql.
> Nothing changed. The output was the same.
>
> Is it possible to generate models from my database?
>
> Am i doing something wrong?

You're not doing anything wrong; you've just hit the limitations of inspectdb.

Django doesn't currently support database-level schemas. As a result,
inspectdb won't look into schemas to find table definitions.

Adding support for schemas has been proposed in the past, and has
received support from the core team. This means schema support will
probably be added in some future version of Django. However, this
doesn't necessarily mean that they will automatically be fully
supported in inspectdb - inspectdb is intended as a crutch, not as a
major part of the Django development process. The capabilities of
inspectdb have always lagged behind those of Django itself, simply
because introspection of this kind is extremely difficult to achieve.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)