stupidgeek wrote:
> David, you are a champ, thank you.
> I find it strange that this made the difference, since this line is in
> the docs:
>
> "The get_user method takes a user_id -- which could be a username,
> database ID or whatever -- and returns a User object."

We-ell, the "user_id" it passes to the backend comes from
session[auth.SESSION_KEY], so it's probably possible to arrange for that
value in the session to be something other than a normal User.id, with a
custom login() and auth middleware in addition to a custom auth
backend... I imagine it's not something most people need to do though.

Also, python being python it _could_ do something like look up a User
instance by id if passed an int and by username if passed a string. Not
saying that's a good idea though, best keep security things as simple as
possible to reason about...