On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Caisys<amamd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
> I would like to develop a small internal tool in my company for
> telesales agents to fill in orders of different products then finance
> can approve them and send them to the shipping department. I was going
> to use php and dreamweaver but I have some python and django
> knowledge. My impression is that Django mainly works like a CMS.

This isn't the best way to describe Django. Django isn't a CMS.
However, it is a magnificent toolkit with which you can build a CMS.
It's also a magnificent tool for building any number of other
web-based applications.

> Is it
> possible to use it for the purpose I have? Are there better suited
> Python frameworks? or should I stick with PHP?

You are the only person that knows your exact requirements. Could you
do this in Django? Certainly. There may be some Django applications
out there that you will be able to reuse to make the job easier. There
might even be a turn-key solution - you'll need to do some searching
to find out if any of the tools in the community meet your
requirements.

Of course, the same is true of PHP, and any other Python framework.
Some frameworks (e.g., Plone) are more CMS-like at the cost of general
flexibility. PHP is just a language for building web apps; language
and programming model differences aside, there's not going to be that
much difference between building your tool in PHP and building your
tool in Django.

If you need a solution _right now_, then I suspect your best options
are to try and find a turn-key solution that meets your requirements,
or to stick to what you know. However, if you have some time at your
disposal, and you're interested in learning a new tool, Django is
certainly capable of doing what you describe.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)