When you pass in an instance, when you later use the form.save()
method, it will save any new data back to that instance.  IE, if you
pass in both an instance and POST data, it will basically give you a
form that merges the instance data with the POST data, and now you can
just save back to the instance.

If you give just initial data, then I believe when you save it just
creates a new object, since it is not bound to any existing object.
If you give initial and POST data, then it will merge those together
(with the post data winning) and create your new object based on that.

Margie