For what you describe, you're not looking for "global" variables in
the sense that you want some value persisted in the same process.
You're looking at session variables, which are variables persisted for
a specific user session.

See:

http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/http/sessions/

Honestly though, the easiest way that I can think of is just to use
separate URLs.  That way, a user could easily use the PC version if he
desires.

-- dz