Just a first guess:

How many wsgi-clients access the db server at the same time?
Maybe the db does accept only N, while apache/wsgi tries it
with N+1. Then the connection could hang.

What do the wsgi processes do? You can use "strace -p WSGI-PID" to find
this out.

You can sent SIGINT (like ctrl-c) the the PID. In the stacktrace
you can see where the python code was hanging (should be in apache
error log).

 HTH,
   Thomas

--