I want to expand on the ImageField functionality of django. Mainly, I
want to check the dimensions of the image the user is uploading, and
resize / crop where appropriate. I would also like to set compression
amount, and perhaps even allow for watermarking. I know there are
several libraries out there that do this, but I want to keep it as
lightweight as possible, and haven't had much luck with sorl.

It seems to me the best way to do this would be to create a custom
field type, so I could do something like this in my model:

image_tb = models.CustomImageField("Thumbnail Image", upload_to
='uploads/projects', size=(50, 50), compression="60", watermark="path/
to/watermark.png")

Is this the best way to do something like this? I understand that you
could also hijack the save method, but I might want to have more than
one image field in each model meaning the sizes might vary. Can anyone
point me towards any articles which will help me on my way?