On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 12:24 PM, ringemup <ringe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone here ever written an application that needed to be able to
> take a date field where the month or day was sometimes but not always
> known?  How would you handle this?  Using separate day/month/year
> fields instead of a DateField seems to sacrifice a lot of convenience
> and usability.

We've just begun to develop a web front-end to an open source genealogy
program (http://gramps-project.org) and are looking into this issue. We have
a sophisticated date object that includes different calendars (Julian,
Gregorian, etc) and date specifiers ("about 1863", "between Jan 1, 1734 and
Feb 1735") and more. We'll probably develop our own Model so that we can
treat these with some of the same convenience as DateField, but handle the
complexity from behind.

We don't have any of the date model coded yet, so this is just an FYI.

-Doug