The queue idea is a good one, and you can use Gearman to do that really
easily. Another, even simpler, way to handle this is to use some kind of
shared NFS mount for the storage. All things being equal, scaling a filer or
SAN will be much easier than scaling your DB, specially if - like most
similar cases I've seen in the past - most of you db becomes blob data.