On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 11:58 AM, Andy McKay<a...@clearwind.ca> wrote:

> On 2009-09-03, at 1:21 PM, Neeraj wrote:
>> I am trying to serialize a queryset but for each row I want
>> supplementary data that is appropriate to the context I am doing the
>> serialization in. I might want to add a column to each row in one
>> situation which is some calculate value, etc, etc, etc.
>>
>> It seems that serialization only really lets you serialize a queryset.
>
> It does indeed, you would have to extend the built-in ones with your
> own serializer.

Changing this situation is a quite old feature request, and one that
has the full blessing of the core. See #4656, #5711 for some related
tickets.

What is missing is a strong design that hits the underlying problem.
'Just add these extra columns to the serialized data' is the small
version of a much larger feature request to customize the output
format of the serialized data. Rather than try to tape lots of little
features to the outside of the current serializers, we are looking for
a strong framework for specifying serialization output formats.

Yours
Russ Magee %-)