Maybe not exactly what you are after, however I have a user profile that
links to an account model. Everything model that instances need to be
owned by a user has a foreign key to the account model.  When I want to
retrieve anything that is owned by an account I get the account from the
user profile, and retrieve the instance through it.  eg
account.domain_set.get(<whatever criteria>).  If it throws an error, it
doesnt exist or isnt owned by that account.  This stops url manipulation
as far as I can tell.

Sean