I'm working on a django SaaS app, which hosts data for multiple
organisations. Each record in a table has a unique RecordNumber.

I could use autofield to give each record a unique incrementing Id
automatically, but that is globally unique. As in org1 might have say,
RecordNum=1 or 2 or 7 etc and org2 might have RecordNum=3,4,5,6

I want each organisation to have its own sequence, i.e. all
organisations might have RecordNum=1 or 2...etc. I can still use
autofield as primary key to identify the row. But i need the RecordNum
field as it will be visible to the end users as sequence numbers
within their org.

UUID, are too cumbersome to type in while searching for a record.

I found this -
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1104741/generating-sequential-numbers-in-multi-user-saas-application
But i before resorting to stored procedures, i want to make sure there
isn't any other way.

Ohh and btw i'm on MySQL.