There's a pattern I keep running into, and I've been wondering if
anyone who's encountered it before has an opinion on how best to deal
with it:

Imagine you have an app that could theoretically stand on its own --
for now let's say a schedule, but it could be anything (an image
gallery, a blog, etc).  This app has multiple items per "app
instance" (i.e. every schedule has multiple events; every blog has
multiple entries, etc).

For your main project, tou want every user to have one instance of
what the app provides.

It seems more pluggable to have an intermediary parent model (Schedule
or Blog or Gallery) between the app items (events, entries, etc) and
the user / user profile than to assign the items directly to the
user.  I.e. each Event has a "schedule" FK and the user profile has a
"schedule" one-to-one field, rather than giving each event a "user"
FK.

On the other hand, the intermediary model is rather pointless if it
doesn't have any fields of its own.  It also results in more demanding
queries and interferes with the use of select_related.

How do you typically handle this case?

Thanks!