On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 12:39 AM, Brian McKeever <kee...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That's a little different.
>
> If you want your desktop apps to all directly connect to your server
> database, I'm not sure what security issues you'd be exposing yourself
> to. I figured you wanted a local database where it wouldn't matter if
> the user messed it up.
>
> I mean, I'm not saying it can't be done. I just think it might require
> changing django internals (which is probably more complicated than you
> want). Although, I don't know enough about that aspect of django to
> say for sure.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see why should django
internals be changed. I'm not saying it's easy, but he would have to
implement (or find a module [0] that does) the browser's capabilities
for cookie management [1] or secure connections [2] (like certificate
verification.) I would treat it like an AJAX application in the sense
that he only needs to access the data, not the markup.

Gustavo, if you achieve this please tell us about your experience.
I've thought about doing this before but never found a really good
reason to get into it. You can find useful information on the net [3].

Good luck.

[0] http://docs.python.org/library/webbrowser.html
[1] http://docs.python.org/library/cookielib.html
[2] http://docs.python.org/library/httplib.html