Actually, I just found out about the X-Sendfile header which I think might
solve this problem.  It basically allows you to set the HttpResponse content
to an empty string,  but the X-Sendfile header tells apache to send a file
from the filesystem,  so apache handles the actual serving of the file, but
it still allows you to do preprocessing beforehand.   I'll probably just
override django.views.static.serve to support this, and use the X-Sendfile
header when in production mode.