On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Leke <leon.san.em...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've just installed python-django from my ubuntu repositories and
> tried my luck at the tutorial here:
> http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/intro/tutorial01/
>
> I tried running django-admin.py startproject mysite but discovered it
> not to be on my system path.
> The tutorial says "If it’s not on your path, you can find it in site-
> packages/django/bin, where `site-packages` is a directory within your
> Python installation." but this location doesn't seem to exist.
>
> I did find it here /usr/lib/python-django/bin/django-admin.py and
> tried to run the specified command like so...
> sudo ./usr/lib/python-django/bin/django-admin.py startproject mysite
>
> which returns...
> sudo: ./usr/lib/python-django/bin/django-admin.py: command not found
>
> I'm not a seasoned linux user, but i can't see what I'm doing wrong
> here. Could somebody point me in the right direction?

Aside: you don't need sudo for running django-admin.py.  All it does is
create some files in your current directory, since you're likely running
from somewhere in your own home directory tree you don't need sudo.

The command was not found because you put a dot at the beginning of the path
to the executable.  That makes the path relative to your current directory.
Start the path with / and it will be absolute and should work.

Karen