Actually the TEMPLATE_DIRS does nothing. In order to get my apps to
work outside of the project directory I edited the manage.py file and
added :

import sys
sys.path.append('..\\..\\..\\django-apps\\trunk')

This allows me to reference my applications from a central site
(django-apps\\trunk) ... Is this the correct approach ?

Thanks