On Oct 9, 11:22 am, Javier Guerra <jav...@guerrag.com> wrote:
> add a second line to your URL mappigs with the third argument:
>
> (r'^(?P<a>[-\w]+)/(?P<b>[-\w]+)/$', 'model_view'),

That's the problem. 'c' is not supposed to be visible in the URL
itself.  A person is only supposed to see /a/b/ when accessing the
model's page.

The thing is that I'm actually using the same URL pattern for the
pages of two different models (not my decision, ugh!).  'c' is
actually storing the model type.  If 'c' is None, as when the URL is
being accessed directly, I'd determine the model type in the view
another way (I go through hoops, but it's possible).  However, if I
have a chance to use one of the model's get_absolue_url methods, I
want to specify the model's type in 'c' so that the view knows what
model it's working with at the start.  Except that Django doesn't like
my optional argument.