I have a django.po file containing:

# SOME DESCRIPTIVE TITLE.
# Copyright (C) YEAR THE PACKAGE'S COPYRIGHT HOLDER
# This file is distributed under the same license as the PACKAGE
package.
# FIRST AUTHOR <em...@address>, YEAR.
#
#, fuzzy
msgid ""
msgstr ""
"Project-Id-Version: PACKAGE VERSION\n"
"Report-Msgid-Bugs-To: \n"
"POT-Creation-Date: 2009-10-12 22:28-0400\n"
"PO-Revision-Date: YEAR-MO-DA HO:MI+ZONE\n"
"Last-Translator: FULL NAME <em...@address>\n"
"Language-Team: LANGUAGE <l...@li.org>\n"

#: core/templates/index.html:7
msgid "Currently selected language is"
msgstr "A linguagem atualmente selecionada é"

#: core/templates/index.html:8
msgid "Howdy!"
msgstr "E aí?!"

When I try to compile messages, I get an error like:

processing file django.po in .../locale/pt_br/LC_MESSAGES
.../locale/pt_br/LC_MESSAGES/django.po:25:44: invalid multibyte
sequence
.../locale/pt_br/LC_MESSAGES/django.po:29:12: invalid multibyte
sequence
msgfmt: found 2 fatal errors

The problem is obviously related to any accented characters (in the
excerpt above é and í). If I replace those by their non-accented
counterparts or by &eacute; and &iacute; the compilation works fine
and translation operates normally.

I'm running mac os x 10.6.1 and the accented characters are the result
of me typing using the US International - PC keyboard layout (so, I
press single-quote-e to obtain é; for example).

What am I doing wrong, please?

Thanks,

CE