In your settings.py, make sure you set EMAIL_HOST correctly.

1. test if you are able to email with a simple python program:
If you have comcast cable in your home, this should work:

-----------------------------------
import smtplib

from email.mime.multipart import MIMEMultipart
from email.mime.text import MIMEText

def email_me(myRecipient):
    me = "whatevermyem...@gmail.com"
    EMAIL_HOST='smtp.comcast.net'

    # Create message container - the correct MIME type is
multipart/alternative.
    msg = MIMEMultipart('alternative')
    msg['Subject'] = "Test email"
    msg['From'] = me
    msg['To'] = myRecipient

    # Create the body of the message (a plain-text and an HTML version).
    text = """
    this is just a test
"""

    html = """\
    <head>
    </head><body>
    <li> This is just a test    <br>
    </li>
"""

    part1 = MIMEText(text, 'plain')
    part2 = MIMEText(html, 'html')

    msg.attach(part1)
    msg.attach(part2)

    # Send the message via local SMTP server.
    s = smtplib.SMTP(EMAIL_HOST)
    # sendmail function takes 3 arguments: sender's address, recipient's
address
    # and message to send - here it is sent as one string.
    s.sendmail(me, myRecipient, msg.as_string())
    s.quit()
    email_me("mywhatver_em...@gmail.com")

2.
Once above test email code works, you can set the EMAIL_HOST in your
settings.py to the same.