On Oct 16, 7:09 pm, Savy <satelin2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Djangonauts,
>
> I am developing  a Django project (with a few pluggable apps).
>
> I want to offer this project as a SaaS (something like 37signals.com).
>
> i.e: customer1.product1.com , customer2.product2.com etc
>
> product1 could be the basecamp product2 could be highrise and so on.
>
> I want to know how the project should be structured for these
> products.
>
> Should there be a single project under which all products will be an
> application. ---- OR ---- Should I be making different projects for
> all the products.
>
> Also interms of database.. should all the products look into a single
> database or we should have seperate databases for each product.
>
> I am looking out for the most efficient and scalable way to do this.
>
> Thanks

Of course, it depends on the characteristics of your system and your
infrastructure, also on if you'll be allowing customization on a per-
client basis. But the easiest way to manage this kind of service is
having just one Django project, and having your applications be client-
aware.

In my case, we develop a SaaS for real state companies, and setting up
per-client domains (yourname.domain.com), validating uniqueness, and
some other things are way easier serving the Django project at the
root URL than would be otherwise. But in our case, clients still share
some information between themselves

On scalability, you can always cache (and Django provides great hook
for caching query or processed/template data), add a DB cluster, and
on the extreme case, work with database sharding (still hard to do
with Django, but look forward to Multi-DB support).

About security, having your data compromised for one client or all
clients is still the same: a security problem, that may get you sued.
As most security issues are reproducible, it doesn't really matter on
how many databases you scattered the information; I would worry more
about implementing good security policies.