I don't have an example of a date field but here is an example of how I
extended the Decimal field in making a Currency field.
http://www.djangosnippets.org/snippets/1527/

<http://www.djangosnippets.org/snippets/1527/>In the description there are
also links to the entire series of objects, including an input widget. That
should get you started on the concept of extending fields and widgets.