Perhaps you could post about your results.  I tried this, in setting
up a deployment server, and ran into roadblocks (which I did not
document) so I switched to sqlite.  The latter comes with the python
on snow-leopard, and the only issues I had were with permissions; I
had to make the database AND the directory holding my source code
writable by _www.