On Oct 20, 2:04 pm, wonderfullyrich <wonderfullyr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to use a mix between thehttp://wiki.dreamhost.com/Django#Setup
> andhttp://webhostingreal.com/content/view/18/1/(which looks slightly
> more recent then the wiki) to setup django on a PS server with
> Dreamhost.  I'm stuck at the easy_install portion.
>
> I realize dreamhost might not be the most django friendly provider,
> but I'd like to see if I can get it working as imagining the pain of
> forklifting to a new Private Server is hard to imagine right now.
>
> I've installed the virtualenv based on the info
> fromhttp://wiki.dreamhost.com/Python#Virtualenv. For whatever reason,
> even after I "source .bash_profile" it's still not got the right path.
>
> Can anyone give me a hint as to what might be going on and how to fix
> it?
>
> I'm getting the following error message:
>
> [clarke]$ cd ~/django/
> [clarke]$ ~/local/bin/easy_install django_src
<snip>
> error: Setup script exited with error: mkpath: 'name' must be a string
> (got u'/home/.roflmao/wonderfullyrich/django/django_src/egg-dist-tmp-
> yKloQV')
>
> Thanks,
> Rich

If you're using virtualenv, you should use 'source bin/activate' to
activate the virtual environment and use its path definitions.

Note that both of the guides you link to are written for the normal
Dreamhost shared hosting, rather than the private server. Since on PS
you have root access, you should just be able to follow the standard
Django installation instructions.
--
DR.