>>> That is, a search on students
>>> is essentially an answer to the question "Show students that belong to
>>> the following schools, and who belong to the following states, and who
>>> have the following degrees / diplomas".

N.B. That in particular does sound like what might sometimes be called
"filtering" or "narrowing" rather than "searching".  Of course, it's
still kind of "searching" (or "finding" ... whatever...)

I presently use some simple ad-hoc code to implement my desired filters
in my application, but I've recently been looking closely at
django-filter which might provide more structure to the implementation:
http://github.com/alex/django-filter

(The other thing I do is use the nice jquery datatables plugin which
provides further last-minute intra-results text search on the client
side - http://www.datatables.net/ )