On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 7:41 PM, Karen Tracey <kmtra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 7:32 AM, Russell Keith-Magee
> <freakboy3...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 8:39 AM, HARRY POTTRER <cp368...@ohio.edu> wrote:
>> >
>> > I was looking around the trac for the django project and came across
>> > this ticket:
>> >
>> > http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/6385
>> >
>> > It seemed like a pretty cool idea, and I hoped it would get to be
>> > added to the 1.2 release. Then I saw it was created over 2 years ago.
>> >
>> > I applied the patch to my cope of 1.1, and it works perfectly. I've
>> > been using it for 2 days and have had no problems.
>> >
>> > What can I do to get this added to 1.2? (or any release for that
>> > matter.) I have some free time, and a weird desire to make this part
>> > of Django. I'm not familiar on how the whole process works. What do I
>> > need to do?
>>
>> Well, you've done the first step - bringing the ticket to our
>> attention and offering to advocate on its behalf :-)
>>
>> I've put some notes on the ticket. If you can address those issues in
>> a satisfactory way, I'll see about getting this into trunk.
>>

> Note there's also requesting 7679 this.  Malcolm was -1 on it due to colors
> not working well for everyone, and the patch was updated to use a setting.
> Not sure yet another setting is the best idea.  At any rate one or the other
> of these should likely be closed as dupe by whoever takes on looking into
> this (not sure why one hasn't already been closed, someone already noted the
> overlap in 7679).

Thanks for the heads up on the dupe - I've closed #6385.

I hadn't considered the colorblindness issue. It's a valid point, but
I don't think we should throw out the baby with the bathwater. For
those without color vision issues, colored output can be very useful.

The choice of colors (avoiding red/blue on black, or yellow on white)
is also a reasonable concern, and one that we don't address at
present.

However, the two issues are orthogonal. We already use color, so the
decision to disable/customize colorization is independent of the
decision to add colorization to runserver. I've opened #12112 to track
the orthogonal problem of controlling colorization.

I'm not convinced that a single setting is the right approach for
this. It almost seems like this is something that we should be using
environment variables or a dot file (e.g., a .djangorc with system
wide Django settings) - although this introduces a dependency on the
environment. I'm open to other suggestions.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)