On Thursday 29 October 2009 09:21:26 Johan wrote:
> The information you provided is very helpful and I have been wondering
> about overriding templates.However, my question pertain not to
> templates as in the templating system used in django but rather to the
> 'template' directories used by django-admin.py when the startproject
> and startapp commands are executed. At the moment these commands
> merely copies some files within the django installation directory. In
> the case of a new project's settings.py it is copied and then modified
> by adding a new secret key and the project url string.

You can add to it by writing your own management command. With something like
this:

from django.core.management.base import LabelCommand, CommandError
from django.core.management import call_command

class = Command(LabelCommand):
  def handle_label(self, project_name, **options):
    # create initial project, use startapp for app.
    call_command('startproject', project_name)
    output = []
    #do stuff to template dir settings for project

   return u'\n'.join(output)

Inside the command startproject[1] you can see how SECRET_KEY value is
intially set. call_command[2] is the suggested way of accessing the other
commands within your apps.  Then use this command to start your projects or
apps.

Hope This Helps

Mike

[1]