Thanks Ethan.

bruno you are right moving stuff under the /profiles/ namespace would
solve everything.

Moving the pattern last but allowing users to still create the
username of "login" would prevent there username from working.

You are also right about "whenever you add any other url..." this will
defiantly become a problem. Say someone creates a username of
"my_super_cool_promotion" and in 3 months i want to create a page at
the url "my_super_cool_promotion" promoting something. They would
effectively take my url.

Let me revise my question some. Anyone have user profiles living at
http://domain.com/username/ and if so how are you handling the above
problems? I guess you could run a query against usernames before
creating a new page, making sure that path is not taken.

Thoughts welcome.