On Nov 3, 2009, at 7:26 AM, paulmo wrote:

> thanks for the response but you're ahead of me already..."cd" as in
> put in a compact disc? where is the "untar directory"?

'cd' as in change directory

The 'untar' directory is wherever the `tar` command unarchived the
contents of the .tar.gz file you downloaded.

This is all to be done from the command line.

The setup command is:

        python setup.py install

you've got your period in the wrong place and didn't use python to run
setup.py which is required.

It doesn't really seem to me that your experience level fits the
solution you're trying to use to solve whatever problem prompted you
to try to install Django in the first place.

What are you trying to accomplish -- leaving Django completely aside
for the moment...