Chris wrote:
> I've recently been in discussion about which is better to have.
>
> http://media.example.com OR
> http://example.com/media/

> Which method should I adopt? I personally like the second method, but
> if it will effect performance/ loading times at all then I should go
> with the first method. I will be serving things like media and API's
> on a separate server or instance. Any thoughts?

All things considered the choice here is probably more aesthetic (which
looks "prettier" to you) than about performance. If you like the second,
then go with the second. If performance is an issue and you think the
first gives you better performance you can edit your HTML templates and
switch...

Personally I like the first because it is "prettier" to me. It is also
much easier for "poor man's load balancing"... If one server gets to
crowded on the very basic sites that I host, I can swap it to another
server with "merely" a DNS change. But that is only but one load
balancing technique among many...

Another reason I use subdomains, particularly for media, is the ability
to use "off-the-shelf cloud products". For instance, my
media.worldmaker.net "server" is currently a CNAME for a 'cheap' Amazon
S3 bucket. It could just as easily be on Rackspace CloudFiles, for all
that it matters. Meanwhile, I'm also considering "upgrading" it to a
CloudFront distribution, potentially without having to touch any of my
HTML for "instant" bonus performance. Having all my static media hosted
by good static media hosts saves me time to think about my dynamic
content and tools.

Your mileage may certainly vary.

--
--Max Battcher--