Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply. The Ubuntu instance only has one Python
installed - 2.6.4. I thought it might be a problem related to that as
well. This has been a really, really frustrating problem! Even setting
up a new VM from scratch and re-installing everything hasn't solved
this issue.

I can't explain why it won't work in a VM, but it will if I'm dual-
booting, or just running Ubuntu native.